PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cirrus sr22
Thread: cirrus sr22
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 10:17
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly a TB20 (7 years) and have briefly flown in an SR22.

The SR22 is nothing special flying-wise; 150kt looks just like 100kt once reasonably well off the ground. It flies OK. I much prefer the yoke over the spring loaded sidestick but others will disagree.

I don't think it is unsafe. It is reported to not carry ice as well as other planes with thicker wings, but you can get TKS for it.

The real issue, compared to the traditional spamcan scene, is that you have to learn some new tricks

- Think ahead; if you zoom in to the destination overhead at 150kt and 5000ft, you are going to look like a right d*ck doing 10 orbits trying to get down in front of the whole restaurant and all the spotters (whereas in a 100kt spamcan you just fly in at 100kt and join the circuit, slowing down a bit). So one has to think ahead, and start planning the descent say 30nm out

- Engine management. Can't just shut the throttle. One has to reduce power gradually, over a minute or two. PFLs are just not done (unless it is rented and the owner is the instructor making you do the PFL....). Circuits are not a great idea either. So, more thinking ahead.

- Complex avionics. There is a lot to learn, and nobody should fly a plane unless they understand the systems to the full extent applicable to the operating scenario (e.g. no need to understand how to set up a GPS approach if you aren't flying any, but even for plain VFR you need to fully understand the flight plan loading etc i.e. about 95% of the avionics functionality).

- If flying abroad, stuff like high altitude flight (oxygen, etc).

- Forget the map and stopwatch nonsense