PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need to vent! CV Rage!
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2009, 07:12
notmyC150v2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Employers need to be concerned about ASKING for the following information (if it is volunteered there is no need for concern):

1. Previous injuries / workers compensation claims - It is unlawful in Queensland and NSW to ask if a prospective employee has made a workers compensation claim or suffered a workplace injury. I am not sure about other states.

What you are allowed to ask is "Do you have any medical conditions which may be exacerbated by the performance of your duties"? And "Have you suffered any injury which may be aggravated by the physical and mental demands of the position"?

These questions are perfectly legitimate and will give you the information you need. If the applicant lies it is a dismissable offence.

2. Marital Status, Country of Origin, Sexual Orientation, Gender, Gender Identity, Religion (except in very limited circumstances not applicable in aviation), Political Alignment or Party Membership, Union Membership, Age (unless as previously stated it is directly relevant to the position i.e compulsory retirement age etc.), Ethnicity or Family Responsibilies (Children etc).

It is perfectly legitimate and LEGAL to discriminate on weight, height, piercings, hair cut, clothing choice and scruffy lookingness. (Except where one of these is genuinely due to an item listed in 2 above).

Remember only discrimination based upon a characteristic specified in legislation is unlawful. Discrimination based on anything else is fine and dandy.

I am sure that having read the above someone will ask "But how will I know that they have a visa to work here if they are foreign"? Well you ask this question,

"Are you an Australian Citizen"?
"If you are not an Australian Citizen, do you have the legal right to work in Australia? y/n"
"If you answered yes, please provide the relevant Visa or residency documentation"

This gets you the information and keeps you out of the poo with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

If you are a job seeker please remember that whilst it is true that a resume is not sworn on the bible, a fib is good grounds for summary dismissal at any time after you have been employed. There is no "statute of limitations" on this.

I wish I had access to this thread years ago. I wasted $200 getting my resume done professionally 12 years ago and didn't get a single interview with it. Every job I have ever got was through a cobbled together two page document which was emailed through and followed up with a few phone calls. Ahhh wisdom truly does come with age...