PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Territorial Army tng binned "temporarily" to save £ - Could We Save Money Other Ways?
Old 14th Oct 2009, 19:25
Squirrel 41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reggie: Be careful, you mustn't confuse happy coincidence with planning....

Scorpion Driver: I don't doubt that Reservists can be cheaper for the reasons that you state - but with the caveat that Reservists are ONLY cheaper if they offer the required level of capability at the time that it is required. If they don't make the level of capability then they are a dangerous waste of time - the system is based on them being at a certain level of readiness and they need to be there.

This is a two way deal - the regular force has to decide what it wants the reserve force to do, and then it has to provide the training opportunity to do this to the regular standards, and to be honest with what the reservists are going to do for real. I know too many RAuxAF types who got sent off to TELIC and ended up doing ****ty menial jobs not because they were trained for it, but because they were reservists and they didn't get a vote.

The Reservists - and especially some of the reservist chain of command - needs to get real. The RAuxAF is not "Air Cadets for Adults" - it's there to support the regular front line and those actions that do not need to be justified: pratting about in the respective Messes at the weekend doesn't do anyone any good unless you're professionally good enough to hold the rank. Personally, I think that all the RAuxAF units should have either a regular OC and a reserve XO and regular adj / training officer or if you must, a reserve OC with the XO, adj and training officer from the regulars.

BLUF: Set the expectations, set the standards, provide the training, watch the enthusiasm and outside skills of your reservists make them hugely valuable. Or don't bother - if it's Air Cadets for Adults you want, go and jin the Air Cadets! (With apologies to the Spacies - without you, I'd never have joined).

Rant over!

S41