PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 Best jobs in the U.S., 2009 Edition
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 21:27
tocamak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selection Criteria

Airline Pilots jobs probably didn't make it into the top 100 due to the criteria as shown below (from the link posted earlier). In particular the jobs that did not grow during the recession.

How we picked the Best Jobs
MONEY and compensation experts PayScale.com started with more than 7,000 jobs and then focused on jobs that the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects will grow 10% or more over the next decade and that require at least a bachelor's degree. Using PayScale's proprietary compensation data, we screened out titles with median pay below $65,000 for experienced workers (at least two to seven years of experience in the field, depending on the job) and fewer than 10,000 positions nationwide.

Eliminated jobs that did poorly during the recession (based on Conference Board data showing growth in online help-wanted ads in 2009
), and grouped jobs with similar responsibilities and skills.

Used data from CNNMoney.com and PayScale.com survey in which more than 35,000 workers rated their jobs on quality-of-life factors such as flexibility, stress, and personal satisfaction. Ranked top 50 on current employment, long-term growth, pay, and security (60%); projected openings (15%); and quality-of-life factors (25%). Online package includes data on pay, job growth and quality-of-life factors for the entire top 100, but only the top 50 jobs are ranked.

Interviewed industry experts and people in each of the professions to further assess its cyclicality, prospects for mobility, and perks and benefits. Selected the top 10 jobs based on these findings.
As regards the future prospects for young people and particularly :-

My son is going into medicine and my daughter into engineering. I do not know a single young adult going into aviation. Not one
Well certainly in the UK those going into medicine will face the same sort of feedback from their more experienced colleagues i.e. the good old days are gone, it's all run by accountants and managers, just mind your back as they are all out to sue you! If someone were to ask me I would still say there are a lot worse ways to earn a living and virtually guarantee seeing the sun every day whilst those on the ground moan about the dismal winter days. Yes things have changed but they always will, things could never stay the same as in Fate is the Hunter and no one will probably write such a masterpiece about the LHR-EDI Shuttle! There is virtually no career which is the same now as it was in the "good old days" probably not even being a banker! If things are that bad for you then seek pastures new, 411A usually says things which wind me up but at least he is being positive about things here.