PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panorama BBC1 Monday 12th Oct - Why Hate Ryanair
Old 13th Oct 2009, 15:57
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
170to5/6chimes

The big flaw in your argument about Ryanair's alledged poor conditions is that somehow higher fares would solve them. They wouldn't. People would simply fly less, resulting in fewer jobs and zero earnings for many of the current workforce. None of Ryanair's jobs existed before the advent of LoCo air travel, which is a pretty good indicator about what would happen to those jobs if they moved to a higher-fare model.

Ryanair (and others) have successfully exploited EU-driven deregulation of air travel. As a consequence it is now a mass transit system giving travel opportunities to vastly more people than was the case in the days of bilateral, high fare low frequency flights prior to deregualation. Ryanair have no problems filling all their jobs. They had no problem even in the boom years in Ireland when labour shortages were the norm here and those filling those jobs definitely had alternative job opportunities.

I'm no fan of Ryanair. I actively avoid using the airline, which is pretty challenging living in Ireland. However, I have great admiration for what the company has achieved, in particular the fact that it has driven the legacy airlines to match it on cost. And for short haul travel that really is almost the only element that matters. Even BA has now realised nobody gives a stuff about food on short flights.