PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training & Flying in America: Visa information
Old 13th Oct 2009, 13:01
lelebebbel

Location: I am not sure where we are, but at least it is getting dark
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You need to speak to an immigration lawyer about it, but generally the answer is: No.
I was in a similiar situation a couple of months ago (working in the US on a J1, been offered a permanent job if work visa could be obtained... no chance).

There are a few different kinds of work visa available (I forgot what they were, I think it's "H" visa thoug), but non of them can be applied to helicopter pilots. Basically, they are all just for positions that at least require 4-year degrees, or people with very special qualifications such as scientists or professors. Pilots do not qualify.

Obtaining a company sponsored permanent work permit (greencard) is generally possible, but it is a very lengthy process and the waiting list is several years. Also, a helicopter pilot position would not qualify anyways, because there are plenty of helicopter pilots in the US already, and it would not be possible for the emploeyer to proof that they couldn't just hire a US citizen for the job.

Sorry for the bad news. Feel free to go talk to an immigration lawyer yourself, you may have other options.

edit: just saw that you are a flight attendant, not a pilot, sorry. I don't think this changes the situation though.