PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangerous goods your help
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 12:58
Flintstone

chips.

The bizjet/GA arena is perhaps more prone to DG mishaps for several reasons although it's not always deliberate.

The passengers don't get the montone grilling at check-in because often there is no check-in, under certain circumstances baggage need not be x-rayed and they're often not even aware what's been packed for them anyway. Then again there are some who just think the rules don't apply because they either own or have chartered the aircraft. That said there are times where you can turn a blind eye in the interest of common sense like allowing aboriginal passengers in the Northern Territory to bring on their fishing spears or people off on their summer holidays nailclippers. Imagine that at a major airport

Luckily I've had no real incidents, just managed (with previous employers) to avoid a few. Let's see now.

The family heading home from Scotland who didn't realise their butler had thrown in two pouches full of shotgun cartridges. As it happened they were less than the permissable quantity but there were no guns with them (always a good hint as to what to be on the lookout for) and had I not recognised the shape of the pouches we'd have been none the wiser.

Next up was the gentleman flying from Germany down to his yacht in the Mediterranean. He was planning to do some maintenance and had with him half a dozen tins of some liquid clearly marked with big, red hazardous stickers. I pointed them out, explained they couldn't go aboard and he took it well placing them on the back seat of his car. You have to wonder then why five minutes later when putting things into a holdall in the boot he thought it would be alright to reach over onto the back seat and pick up the very tins he'd just been told weren't allowed. When I told him (again) they couldn't come aboard he acted surprised (again) and put them away.

Russian passengers going to Moscow with a bagful of fireworks. "Niet tovarisch" was met with a shrug and a grin, he knew damn well they weren't allowed. He said there were no more so we 'suddenly' found out that security wanted to run a spot check and examine their bags. One pile of fireworks later we were on our way.

A well known musical celebrity accompanied by the full entourage of flunkies, @rse-kissers and make-up girls. The latter had so many aerosols with them they could have poked their own hole in the ozone layer and it got interesting when, in flight, they broke out the previously hidden nail varnish remover (acetone) and began using the hairspray with gay abandon. The fumes inside a small cabin were almost debilitating (until we made them stop) and I smelled like a tart's boudoir until I managed to shower.