PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 11:49
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andy1999

Yes I assume my uncle must have trained in the UK. Reg says the course was 6 weeks long so perhaps the photo dated 25th FEb 1941 was at the end of his course but even so to be on line and checked out on Wellingtons by Jan 1942 in time to have ditched showed that his training was fairly quick. Unfortunately he has since died and I wish that I had talked to him more about his RAF service.

I have just counted the number in the photo and not including the four Instructors there were 45 in total and looking a lot smarter than Reg's photo of his course!! It was of course an official photo unlike Reg's

Here are the names

Back row

H.Waugh,J.Lancaster,M,Silverstone,R.Tebbutt,A.Scott,A.F.O'Do nnell,H.S.Wagner,E.V.Vowles,G.B.Morrison,G.S.Thomson,H.A.Tay lor,A.C.Poore,H.L.Walmsley,G.A.Rowe.

Centre Row

R.E.Leeson,W.C.Robertson,C.G.Shoebridge,J.J.Wallace,C.R.Macn ab,J.Mulholland,G.Wilkinson,P.S.Sanders ( my uncle),R.A.Wright,N.C.Lerwill,F.I.Thompson,W.M.Taylor,A.E.Yo ude,W.M.Sloane,B.Travers,W.Laing

Front Row

J.F.McLaren,F.Pearson,H.K.Thompson,C.P.Wilcock,H.L.Shepherd, J.Sheffield,S.W.Butler,Cpl J.J.Forester,P/O R.O.Whitaker,Flt Lt C Wyatt-Hughes,Cpl A.Clarke,E.J.Stevens,D.B.Searle,G.K.Woollard,D.W.Marshall,C. L.Skin,C.H.Stone

I wonder how many got their " Wings " and how many survived the war.

Last edited by thegypsy; 13th Oct 2009 at 12:29.