PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some clarity required on Decision Altitudes
Old 13th Oct 2009, 09:52
the beater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul Chocks says:
Personally, I think the part "continue the approach" means that as long as you have applied power for the missed approach at or before DH then you're OK.
Agreed, that's what you need to do to pass the test. Of course if you do this right at the DA, then you will dip below. This is permissible and would not result in a test fail.
InTgreen writes:
Anyone else here nervous with the attitude of "if I were doing it for real, then I'd do it differently"?

Why are you nervous? We're not talking about 'practicing' here, we're talking about passing a test. In real life, if the weather is such that I have to fly down to DA, of course I'll do it. But on a test why not use the tolerance that you are given to your advantage? You can then practice flying to DA as much as you like. It'll be cheaper than 'practicing' with an examiner on board.
I'd be more concerned with Non-pc Plod's revelation that some examiners will allow pilots to keep practicing their approaches until they get one right!
Flight tolerances during a test are something that are standardised for the general guidance of the examiner. The important point to note is that it refers (in this case) to 'Starting go-around at DA/DH'. Not to 'making the decision whilst continuing the approach'.

The ANO states (thanks Paul Chocks):
An aircraft to which this article applies, when making a descent to an aerodrome, shall not:
(a) continue an approach to landing at any aerodrome by flying below the relevant specified decision height.

A decision as to whether to pass or fail a candidate isn't based on a show of hands on an internet forum, it's based on an examiner assessing as to whether the candidate flew within the tolerances laid down, with an allowance made for weather and other relevant factors.
The candidate in this instance has been told clearly the reason for their fail. They could take a copy of this thread to show the examiner (please Sir, Crab says) before doing it exactly the same.
And failing.
Again.
Or do something radical.
Use the tolerances to their advantage.
And pass.
Come on, Windy, what's it gonna be?