PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need to vent! CV Rage!
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2009, 01:31
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I can't believe how far behind the world Australia is...

To suggest that you can, in any way, assess the suitability of a candidate from a head-and-shoulders photo on a resume seems quite far-fetched. I'd be interested in how this profiling is achieved...
It has nothing to do with profiling at all. It is simply looking for cues... slovenly appearance, the afore-mentioned leaning over expensive sports cars, wearing of insignia that don't fit the candidate, etc. They all give little hints as to what you can expect from that person. However no recruiter would ever decide a candidate's suitability based on a photo; it simply gives some information on which later interview questions can be based.

You cannot judge someone's capabilities as a pilot based on a photograph. You might be able to judge their apparent professionalism, enthusiasm, and hygeine
Precisely. They are all part of the picture. Nobody hires pilots any more based solely on flying skill. We look for the whole person. Many airlines see their crews as front-line ambassadors for the company, which makes their appearance as critical as the cabin crew. In this context, they are little different to actors or other professionals whose appearance is an important factor.

All you are doing with a photo is having an early opportunity to do exactly what you do anyway in the first few seconds of an interview. To infer that requiring a photo implies discrimination is just ridiculous.

I don't know of any airline that asks for a photo other than a photo copy of your driver's license and passport.
British Airways... Easyjet... Ryanair... flybe... the list goes on. The BA form even helpfully provides a box on the form for your photo. Many airlines, particularly Asian ones (Japan Airlines is a good example) have strict requirements around personal appearance and physical stature (ie fatties need not apply). There are still some airlines in the Middle East that frown upon pilots wearing glasses (in fact Cathay were like that until relatively recently).

I suppose what we are seeing is how out of step Australian HR practices are with the rest of the world. Whether you think that is a good thing is up to you. From a recruiter's perspective, it sounds very restrictive.