PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 22:20
regle

Totally different outlook and attitude in training

I couldn't help putting my oar in after reading Johnfairr's excellent story.
The relaxed after flying activities and the shirt sleeves even when up in the air contrast completely with the ,still prevalent, US system of making you think that and tell you, by literally screaming, are just pieces of dirt and whilst you are beginners at anything and know nothing, are completely hopeless and will never succeed. I did a lot of teaching experienced pilots how to be good Instructors at Bomber Command Instructors School, at Finningley and then at The Empire Flying school at Hullavington and the use of a little praise and encouragement, now and then was what we used to din in to the sometimes very high ranking students. We never called them "pupils" and we were "Tutors "! There are still so called Teachers in all walks of life who believe that the louder you shout the better the result. I am afraid that this is still very prevalent in American Forces training. Just look back at your own schooldays and ask yourself "Do I hate Maths because I never got the hang of it, or was it because I hated that Teacher's guts ?". I hated Maths for that reason . He was a bully and I loved English and Languages because the Masters were decent and understanding and persevered . Cliff, I would love to hear some of the German views on their training. Heidelberg, duelling and sword scars ? Or is that just fiction ? Very interesting. Reg.