PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA and Insurance
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 20:28
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Some describe it as frightening; others as very worrying.
The ANO in a nutshell says, don't crash the aircraft.

Many accidents involve a flight which has not complied with some aspect of the air navigation order and in general the pilot population seems happy with how insurance companies treat them, so they don't appear to enforce the letter. Any trivial violation of any logging, ANO or airworthiness order - no matter how un-connected to the cause of the accident could be used to avoid payment - and there doesn't seem to be an uproar from the estates of third parties who have died in accidents or spouses being bankrupted.

At what point is the insurance company likely to walk away. I would find it very disappointing if my insurer was going to walk away because my medical was a week over due, yet if I told them I was an ATPL with 1500 Citation hours and no accidents (really expired NPPL, 35 hours, in three wrecked flex wings) and then crashed my jet into central London I would expect the insurance company to walk away.

Some case examples would be interesting to have a feel for how the insurance companies view this continuum (or maybe I should be moving my assets into an offshore trust and holding the aircraft in a Ltd company so I don't need to worry about liability insurance )