PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 16:43
regle

Gypsy

The photos of Aberystwyth No.6 ITW are on page22 Thread 425 . Every single one of us in B Flight went to Albany GA. for training and we got our wings in Jan 1942. Probably your Uncle was in another flight, I think you said 'A' Flight. I remember you said that your Uncle was killed in Jan 42 so I think that he must have gone on a much shorter Flying course, probably in England as it was September or October before I was starting my Ops with 105 Sqdn. It was a great pity that the training in England was so dependent on the weather. South Africa, Canada, Rhodesia and the USA were far far, flung but we owe them so much for the training of our chaps that enabled us to hold out . The Empire Training scheme together with the Arnold, particularly and then the Tower's British Training schemes got around the weather and the capacity of our little island to pour out the thousands of pilots that we so desperately needed. Unfortunately the less fortunate ones who had the fog, wind, rain and peculiarities of the English climate to add to their difficulties in mastering a new and challenging element , paid the ultimate price. Reg