PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sorry, you're too late...
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2002, 12:57
Little Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently travelled in Australia and flew on Virgin Blue a couple of times. I consider this the low cost option over there.

Firstly, check in closed just 15 minutes before departure - and the impression given was that they would go out of their way to get you on board even after that - sure there are a lot of other factors, but it seemed no big deal over there - so why in the UK?

Secondly, one particular passenger (whom I assumed had checked in already) didn't turn up for boarding - there was some 20 minutes of calling for the passenger who still didn't arrive. Everyone was running round desparately trying to find out where he was. Credit to the staff who were going out of their way to track them down, right until the latest minute possible - but I bet that wouldn' t happen over here.

Thirdly, another flight I was checked in for was delayed. I was allowed to transfer to another flight to the same destination in order to make a connection at my destination. My luggage was already on board the original aircraft - and the alternative flight was already boarding - yet it seemed to be no big deal to make the new arrangements. How is it that this can be managed in oz, and yet over here everything is so much more difficult?

Is this down to a more regulated operation in the UK, or just that we like to make things more difficult? The airport in question was Sydney - not particularly quiet, and the aircraft were all full.