PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Susi Air
Thread: Susi Air
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 15:50
Just another canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Susi can be a very fun place to work... the country is amazing and most of the people treat you like royalty. There are, however, some serious drawbacks to working there.

In my opinion, they've grown way too fast as far as fleet goes. They keep on buying airplanes but still don't have any hangars to call their own and buy parts as they need them.

The few maintenance expats they had tried hard but were just fighting a losing battle. The corruption of the country allows them to get away with slapping inspections or simply not doing them at all. The engineer in Papua wasn't even an engineer... they also simply decided to just not do the big gear inspections because it would take too much time. Salt-water atmosphere... hmmm... can anyone say gear failure?

You don't get a work permit and you don't get an Indo license... they pay off the DGAC so the expats they have there can stay there. So, your Canadian or SA or Aus. or whatever license will work just fine. You may get away with just writing one down on a napkin.

They pay is horrible for FO's... you start at 500 US a month. Captains pay is mediocre at best. Although this may depend where you are coming from.

There website says ATPL trained pilots... blah, blah, blah... all bulls**t. They claim Flight Safety trained pilots... bulls**t.

Your pay is always, always late. Most of the time you must hassle the accounting girl multiple times to get paid. They are short on cash, but the owner spends copious amounts of money on herself. She is selfish and cares very little for her employees. Her husband had never worked in the industry before starting this airline and he is CP... he avoid confrontation at all costs and will usually only communicate via text or email.

If you come from a background, like me, where aviation and safety and business is taken seriously and professionalism comes first, you will have a really hard time working here. Many, many pilots went there and left a month or even a week after seeing how they operate.

On the other hand, the flying can be great and like I already mentioned the country is beautiful. If you don't have any other choice, go there, but be prepared to leave 6 months to a year later because by then, frustration will have gotten the better of you.

Also, someone above had mentioned the owners are great people. Well, I have to say it... they are not and as far as I'm concerned, are not fit to run a lemonade stand. But that's just one man's opinion.

Good luck to all that apply.