PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's on Food Stamps
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 12:10
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember being a turbo prop captain and having to take a second job, taxi driving in order to get by. The refueller and the loaders got paid more than I did and yes I was on full award wages.

Now with a low cost I make twice as much as I used to but work twice as hard with none of the standard airline benefits.

Looking at major airlines for my next career move, I see that Emirates which only a few years ago was regarded as a prime job are slowly but surely eroding their pilots terms and conditions. Also they expect me to pay for my own ticket to Dubai for the interview

Airlines worth working for are now few and far between, and you need to get in young with the long wait to upgrade. Only airline in Australia with decent conditions is QANTAS and they are underpressure from the financial crisis and competition.

CATHAY "A" scale a memory, back in the 1980/90s it was a dream job with widebody captains being grateful to get in as second officers.

Airlines are essential to the economy, look at the disruption during the pilots strike. It's time we as skilled professionals got paid what we are worth bearing in mind our training, skill and responsibilities.

It used to be you did the hard yards for a few years and it paid off in the end, now the pay back isn't there. No way can I recommend flying as a career to an aspiring youngster unless someone else pays, either a cadetship or the airforce.

I will steer my son in the direction of university and a degree in a field with good potential. I don't know of any dentists having to take second jobs once qualified.