PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-800 Engine Start N2 question
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 12:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reducing EGT with motoring engines was something a BIG fan engine would do. On these smaller versions I doubt it is significant.
Regarding N1%. There is no tailwind limitation on starting engines, but would anyone put fuel BEFORE N1% was showing correct rotation? I note he engines on NG's don't show -ve rotation with a tailwind, only 0%. Then they often beccome +ve aroubnd 27% N2. Thus I wait to confirm all the roatating bits are going in the correct direction before giving them a large shock. Thoughts?

Further, but connected. Inflight Start. I teach to wait until 25%N2 if possible, when at lower altitudes. The 11% minimum means for me it is available at the top of the flight envelope and might well be max motoring up there. Between 5000' & 25000' there might be some line graph which means you'll get only e.g. 17% at a higher FL. But surely, injecting fuel at 11%N2 at low levels can not be a sound thing to do. Could well produce a hotter start, even though the forward speed will help. Thoughts?