PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's on Food Stamps
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 09:59
ZKSUJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food stamps is a great idea, wish we had them over here. Would make life easier.

Like a few others, I'm stuck in the food chain (not very high up as well may I add but stuck none the less), still in GA working my way up. Times aren't the best but I guess everyone is experiencing it. I'm counting myself lucky that i have a job right now.

As far as the employer is concerned, if we aint happy with it, theres always someone to replace us. A bit hard to strike if your job isnt secure and you can put it in jeopardy instantly (but thats GA I suppose). I guess it doesnt help other staff aren't part of the union, so if there was a strike I'd be the sole one at the picket line. Anyway, I'm just looking at it as a 'character building' experience for now (I certainly know I've grown alot of patience since I started flying commercially just over a year ago), and hopefully it wont be too much longer for something else to come along.

I presume alot of guys here work second jobs as well. I know I do. Work my 2nd job 5-6 nights a week and my flying job daily. And like many in the country I get paid per flying hour which varies weekly and is not steady income. The biggest thing is waiting on the ground for any flying and not being paid for alot of the work that you end up doing. I know guys who teach classes for free to get flying. Others who do Sim training for free just to get some Multi IFR hours (of which they do for free anyway). A friend of a friend works as a Pizza delivery Boy at night while instructing in the day (on a pay per flying hour basis), and he eats leftover pizzas a few nights a week to save money on food. I work with a guy who works a full time job, then walks to the airport every evening to get a flight (an hour to airport and an hour home), as well as being there on weekends. And dont get me started about an ex-collegue who lived off part of his girlfriends student allowance to get by. The list goes on and on...

All we do is bear it for now, and sooner or later something better will come up. One thing this industry has taught me and my mates is that if you don't look at a possible positive outcome at the end , it gets real tough real quick. We are very lucky to have one or two more experienced guys who have 'been there and done that' to keep us motivated along the way.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see what this movie actually says and the story it tells. I know of many guys who struggle during their GA phase and alot of interesting people in not so fortunate situations (financially). But the bright side is Once you get to the regionals (in NZ anyway) at least the pay is alright and the Miser lifestyle can slowly vanish. Wish I could say the same for our friends flying in the US of A.