PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 09:17
hollingworthp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for balance

I did my first initial type rating in March.

I didn't have to pay for it and I joined on the standard FO salary for my company. So it's not fair to say that there is no such thing as a free rating. It is fair though to say they are very rare - even more so now

I would hope that most people considering FR are going in with their eyes open with regards to the contract. I am given to understand that the quality of training is very high and clearly the fleet is modern.

As a new FO, I think FR is a reasonable starting point in terms of the experience you will build and for unfreezing your ATPL.

I couldn't have stretched to the SSTR myself and I don't want to get drawn on the detrimental affect these have on future T&C's.

I can certainly understand both sides of the argument with those who take loans / family assistance for a considered risk/reward view towards FR (being pretty much the only gig in town) and what must undeniably be a huge sense of pride and achievement to those who work & save towards their licence and that ultimate prize of the first job without leaning on anyone else.

My own situation leans strongly towards the latter and that helps me sleep at night knowing that even if I were made redundant tomorrow, I have a previous career I can fall straight back into and nobody else's assets are at risk.

The nature of this site is to debate, and as such there are at least 2 sides to each story / thread. The Beak offers a viewpoint in which I see a good deal of value - but then it is pretty easy for me to say so as I am in the extremely fortunate position of being employed. But also guys like TT highlight that not everyone going to Ryanair is a fresh-faced 19yo leaning fully on the rose-tinted specs of their parents.

Before people post on here (and mostly it is behind anonymous monikers) take a moment to consider whether you would say the same thing to someone over a beer in a bar downroute.

Anyways, I am on hotel standby so need to find something else to do with my time. To the gym methinks.