PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's on Food Stamps
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 08:29
lostwingnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the problem is a weak union - AFAP.

As a GA pilot you are not represented at all, as an airline pilot you get lost in the system. The only real way to get improved conditions is to band together and ask for it. Unfortunately like every other professional group (nurses, teachers etc), pilots can not organise this on their own, and this is where a union comes in.

And all we got is AFAP, the people that negotiate the award, then don't enforce it. I have said it before, and will say it again - How can we be represented by people (AFAP) that are so out of touch with the industry, that they don't even know what the award is themselves.

I was a member, my employer was underpaying me and generally bullying the pilots, contacted AFAP, and was promptly told that they could not and would not help me, or my colleagues. When I cancelled my membership the not so helpful lady on the phone told me in no uncertain terms that I would not be receiving my magazine and AFAP calendar next year. HA!

Eh, same old rant, same old bitterness. I've put my neck out a few times, for myself and others. Almost every time I have had it sliced, the scars will never heal.

Regards, Lost

P.S. Thanks for the help Mr Hat, makes it much easier when the story is embedded in the conversation rather than a link, I'm still learning all the etiquette for forum posting.