PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's on Food Stamps
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 07:38
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
There must be some limit where one has to think it isn't worth it, has it been worth it for you? Genuine question from someone who has just started their career. (Let's take into account the current conditions and future of the industry)
I think the problem is that the amount of effort and money to get a license and a few hours actually makes you hang in there longer, because you think 'I don't want to waste the last five years of my life'. Then you keep on hanging on and hanging on. I believe if you hang in there long enough then you will get where you want to go however the amount of money and effort may not make it worthwhile. I think also that has an affect on other parts of your life too which isn't mentioned too often here. If you are the full aviation nerd, (ie all your friends are pilots, you hang at the aero club and play flightsim in your spare time and have a aviation blog and 2000 posts on pprune) then you will probably wouldn't be too bothered but if actually want something resembling a normal life then you have to pull the pin at some stage. I got close to the point of bugging out then got into an airline and have a normal life and some decent money.

Personally I wouldn't recommend anyone be a pilot in this country. IF you had EU citizenship and the $$ or could work in some 3rd world country's airline and bypass all the GA BS then that would be OK. Places like Australia, NZ, USA and Canada just are not worth the effort unless your life long passion is aviation.