PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2009, 01:26
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
I think the low level raid on Aug 18th 1940 led to some improvements in being able to spot raiders before they were on top of you.
Down at Burntwood lane (near the school) i think an anti aircraft platform still exists.
This looks very much like the same design as one at Brooklands (that also suffered a low level raid) and must have been built post Aug 1940,as it is not mentioned in any records for the raid.
The Kenley hangars did not stand much of a chance,as the roof structure was wood (Belfast Truss) covered in roofing felt.
The combination of dry wood and tarred covering was no match for dozens of 50kg bombs.
When the days flying finished at 615 GS,the final duty was to "throw" the main power switch to the hangar in lieu of the rather elderly wiring and "heaters".
The 1978 fire started in the ajoining bay (in a room used as a paper store) due to a heater being covered,a sad end to a historic structure.
When the hangar had been built during the first war i suspect the doors were also wooden clad.
The "non standard " control tower was added on (prob in 39) but i have no accurate info on that.
However the good news is that i have one of the original hangar bricks (from the door arches) to start the rebuild !!!
PC
Kenley also had the "Gates from Hornchurch" when that station closed (officers mess entrance),and its own band music as played at main parades.