PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need to vent! CV Rage!
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 23:41
john_tullamarine

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Like others my attention span for CVs is one page, two tops if it's REALLY interesting.

As Codger wrote simultaneously with me ... the way to kill all concerns is to include a half page (new chum) through two page (greybeard) executive summary CV (super terse) followed by a more expansive document. That way the guts is easily reviewed and the 0.00263 percent of folk who have nothing better to do with their time can read the padding following.

Our practice (greybeards) has always been along the lines that ours are two page maximum, regardless, as the folk who want to use us know enough about us anyway.

I can recall running into an undergrad engineering mate some years ago .. he proferred his CV by way of catching up on history and it was about 40 pages of waffle and questionable claims. The guts was probably worth a two-pager.

However, if you are applying for a specific job and the advert refers to required criteria or somesuch, then your covering paperwork must address those points as the advert suggests the initial vetting will be done by folk who know naught about the job and will be working on box-ticking ... if you don't get through the box-ticking front desk, the chap/girl who counts in the next room doesn't get to see your paperwork and you are out on your ear before you start spruiking to the folk who count.