PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Territorial Army tng binned "temporarily" to save £ - Could We Save Money Other Ways?
Old 11th Oct 2009, 22:43
ScorpionDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sq41, et all

As a Reservist I find some of these comments a bit wide of the mark.

If one looks at the actual 'output' of a 'Regular / Reservist' vs the actual 'cost' of employing that person, the cost to the public purse will vary significantly depending on trade, skills and experience.

In the 'real / commercial world' that I'm usually in (and so is the electorate) we usually try to strive for best efficiency and productivity, ie you get the best of what you put in - really simple stuff.

As a Reservist I get paid X per day, I put in X (plus) effort skill, experience and all the good stuff that we ALL put into get the job done in difficult circumstances.

However, the annual cost to the public purse for me for:

1.Housing = zero
2.Housing my family = zero
3.Commuting = zero
4.Schooling my children = zero

I'm not suggesting for a nano second that the above shouldn't be paid for a Regular, but it does bring down the overall cost, to the public purse, for a Reservist to be productive, on a daily basis quite considerably.

For example - Pay £100 per day for a Reservist to go to the Sandpit for 4 months which is 120 days (£12,000). Fact.

This MUST be less that a Regular, of the same rank to do the same 4 month tour (£35,000pa, plus all of 1-4 above), assuming they are not 'productive' ie not actually 'fighting' for the other 8 months of that year.....(courses, doing 'admin', doing 'sport' and so on..)

I think you'll find that we provide a very efficient service to electorate. Especially when some of us pay 40% tax on our Reservist pay from the outset - cashback for the electorate....

I speak only of my light blue experiences. Per Ardua.....