PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 22:30
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Yes, the Comper did its first display at the Air Fair (1974) after extracting it from Lasham, and sorting it out with much help from other TC members.
It then performed shows on a regular basis until the early 80's after returning from Iran (dont ask)
I was pleased to do the Kenley display (was also doing the Turb Thing) as the place meant so much to me.
We also managed to do the original Croydon event,and would "gate crash" the odd "Moth Event" supporting one of the clubs Tigers.
Of course all this was non radio in those days,and great fun.
We also managed to fly out of Gatwick (off one of the service roads) after coming back from the middle east.
The machine had been owned by the well know J Kent when he was CO of Tangmere,so perhaps we will "visit" whats left of that sometime.
Great film story.Man wins Euro lottery, buys Kenley,kicks out developers,rebuilds it to post war standards,gives 450,and 615 a decent HQ,reopens naffi,and fills hangar with warbirds,ATC machines,and fugitives from the TC.
None of my machines ever went into the Belfast,but the odd Tiger and Turb from RHill "dropped in" and had to spend the night there.However my Beetle had major surgery performed in its hallowed space,right where the Hurricanes are in Reach for the Sky.
PC