PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 22:22
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair enough. I don't really want to bang on about it too much. I know how boring 'when I was in the RAF...' stories can get and since I've already mentioned it in this thread I decided to chop that bit out.

The fact is I served as a commissioned officer and frontline pilot for several years, saving money to my best ability. I left, did my civil licences, modular, with the money I had saved only to find the employment market looking pretty desolate. I spent the best part of a year seeking flying employment, with virtually no leads coming up, despite having a fairly respectable aviation CV. In that time I worked in Starbucks. I am not afraid of an honest day's work whether that be leading a formation at low level through Iraq or making cappucinos for £5.80/hr. I do not consider myself too good for any job. It wasn't my dream long term career but it kept my head above water for a while and gave me the freedom to give 7 day's notice and take any opportunity that came up.

Ryanair offered me a position and I gratefully accepted as it was by far the best option I had. On joining the company I have not found a single person who regrets joining up, and it therefore irritates me somewhat to be on the receiving end of such abuse, especially when so much of it is factually incorrect. Beak's facts, figures and generalizations are so wildly inaccurate that occasionally I feel obliged to put up a counter argument.

So there you go. That's me. Any questions?

Edit:

And to pre-empt another regular point that comes up: Am I just trying to buy my way into a jet job when I should work my way up as in the good old days? Well to answer that, my experience is in a multi-crew aircraft with two gas turbine engines. Despite that I applied for everything from light aircraft ferry flying, bush flying, instructing, GA, bizjets, every airline on the planet etc. That fact is there's even a waiting list to be an unpaid glider tug pilot these days. Ryanair is a damn good opportunity in such a market.

Incidentally, I make a mean coffee. Seriously. One of my most satisfying skills.

Last edited by Torque Tonight; 11th Oct 2009 at 22:43.