PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blog reports flight with medical emergency diverted to Toronto
Old 11th Oct 2009, 20:47
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you really so racially brainwashed that you imagine for one moment that the US would shoot down a civil airliner after it had declared a Mayday? Which planet do you inhabit?

God spare us from ignorant bigotry like this.
I'm truly sorry that you should feel this way towards my opinion. However, as an employee of an american company, a daily correpsondent with various north & south american colleagues & a frequent visitor to the US, usually transiting via New York I feel that the US remains incredibly jumpy about any potential terrorist threat, especially any potential airborne threat.

If you wish to test the veracity of this prevailing state of mind in the US, I would suggest that you make enquiries about the *****-storm that happened not long after Barack Obama took office when the White House decided that new publicity shots of Air Force One were needed and arranged for a low level flypast of AF1 over New York. Having spoken to colleagues who are part of US reserve forces, this shoot down policy is an option.

I would also suggest that you refer to a thread under the military section on Pprune regarding the London Olympics in 2012 where you will find discussions relating precisely to shooting down hijacked airliners over London. The problem with this policy, aside from the loss of life in the air is the collateral damage on the ground that happens when the debris from such an action falls to earth.

Personally, I find the thought that this might occur anywhere to be thoroughly repugnant. However, this is the situation that we are in, all thanks to Osama's boys in Al-Q and the other assorted nutcases that are affiliated to them.

I am not responsible for either the US Government's or any other Government's policy in regard to these individuals, organisations and the actions they may take. However, there are some rather draconian options which these Governments have put on the table as options for themselves to take which make the daily nonsense we suffer at check-in look like a holiday camp.

Agaricus, I live in hope that one day the human race will come to the stage where each member of it can accept the other members of the human race for who they are and can live in peace with each other. However, on a daily basis I am continually disappointed by man's continuing ingenuity ion finding ways to be inhumane to their fellow man.

I hope that you can appreciate that my original post was neither in support of either the action of the US in denying access nor the potential action should the pilot have persisted in his approach, but rather an assessment of why persisting in approaching could be potentially very dangerous to all on board.

Should you still feel the need to flame my response, please do so by PM rather than on the board as there is enough feeding of the trolls otherwise.