PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir 185 - I do not get it..??
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2001, 07:52
Zeke

Arrow

Crockett,

Everyone in the area has to try and save face, the culture in Asia is just like that. If you have every operated in Jakarta it is not the best of ATC or radar and I assume is reflects somewhat to the performance of their overall aviation industry.

From my understanding the Australian involvement was technical back up and not the lead agent. Possible conclusions drawn from not knowing all the facts, as I am lead to believe in the Australian do not do anyone favors. As technical backup the role is just a “clearing house” for the evidence, and report on the same to the lead agent.

I have not seen the TV program you refer to, however I understand that the F/O was from New Zealand, and blaming the crew (i.e. partially a New Zealand FO) is not palatable in New Zealand if it is not warranted.

Theories are great, but until someone can identify particular irrefutable facts as to the cause the accident it will remain inconclusive.

The attitude in the US is that Boeing (for that matter any aircraft/helicopter manufacturer in the US) can never do any wrong. They protect their own industry. When an accident occurs, they move on and keep going like nothing happened.

My personal view is that when the NTSB starts crying foul pilot error, I will be looking for problem with the aircraft. I am less than convinced with other incidents like the Egyptair and Swissair where the dead crew were essentially blamed.

How long did it take to get the 737 rudder problem sorted ? When was the jet ranger tail gear box fixed ? Both caused countless lives to to be lost, but their industry strives along at the cost of a few.