PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military discounts worth having...
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 17:55
Manuel de Vol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Uncle Fred. - I'm surprised at the reception you received from Disney, Grimfixer. I've encountered a number of British Servicemen in the US and none of them seemed to have any difficulty in getting those military discounts which were offered to US military personnel.

I retired from the RAF 20-odd years ago. When I did, I handed in my 1250, received a letter thanking me for my service and a pension. - I understand that nowadays, you hand in your 1250, get the letter and a promise of a pension to be paid at some later date ... If the government hasn't spent it.

I had no retiree ID card, I was no longer eligible to use that excellent hotel chain (The Mess), I could no longer receive health and dental care from RAF Stations or hospitals (other than through the NHS provision afforded by the latter), I could no longer fly on an indulgence flight, and I could no longer shop at NAAFI (.... the last wasn't a great loss. )

My wife retired from the USAF about 5 years later. She got a pension (a more generous percentage of her basic pay than mine) and we both got retiree ID cards. We can stay in on-base accommodation (space available), we can shop at the BX and at the Commissary, we receive free Health and Dental care (space available) at Military installations worldwide and in the event that I go to a civilian doctor, 'free' (well, affordable) health insurance which pays 75% of the allowable costs. We can also 'hop' (again, space available) on US military aircraft ... though I can't do that on my own.

The United States Air Force has an Air Force Association. The Royal Air Force has RAFA. When I was in the RAF, serving members were encouraged to join RAFA - though the take-up wasn't that great.

The Americans also have the MOAA - Military Officers' Association of America -'One Powerful Voice' which is open to both serving and retired members of all services. We are members of both - and have been for a long time.

MOAA does indeed have a powerful voice; it's a very influential political lobby and works on behalf of both serving and retired personnel.

The UK has SSAFA, which although it provides invaluable assistance to servicemen, isn't comparable with MOAA.

American Servicemen aren't political activists; indeed, like their British Counterparts, their 'political activities' are somewhat limited. They are allowed (and encouraged) to become members of MOAA which can - and does - lobby on their behalf.

I can't help wondering whether British forces (and retirees) fare so poorly in comparison to their American counterparts because they do not have an organisation similar to MOAA acting on their behalf.

If that's the case, then we - both serving and retired members of HM Forces - have only ourselves to blame.

There is nothing to stop serving personnel from joining RAFA. Presumably (though I doubt that either the MOD or the Government would be at the head of the queue to encourage it) there would be nothing to stop British servicemen (those on active duty AND retirees) from campaigning for - and joining - a tri-service organisation.

An association for serving and retired British Forces personnel would never be as big or as powerful as the MOAA, but - provided it spoke with 'one powerful voice' - it could act to influence the benefits offered to and quality of life of both serving and retired personnel.