PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why can't PPL holders charge for their services?
Old 11th Oct 2009, 17:40
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt it's all been said but as a miserable 150 odd hr NPPL I know that some airborne situations require more competence than others. The full complement of competence does not arrive along with the "poo brown".
Frinstance yesterday I changed the oil & thought "a quick blast round the coast to circulate the stuff as it is a nice evening & the wind had dropped"
Taxi out to the far end (nearly) looked over the fence & the farmer next door ploughing, field full of seagulls, more inbound overhead! The better part of valor being cowardice, I put the thing away & went home.
If I had had a passenger on board who had paid to be there I can imagine, "What the hell are you doing? I want to get to xxxx before 5 oclock, the sun is shining, no wind, what's the problem?"
Most flying training to PPL is in good wx, that's why half of it gets cancelled. As a basic (N)PPL where do you draw the line & be able to say "Now I can do it"? There are plenty of over confident people out there who would draw the line long before I would.
Which is the reason for the CPL extra training/time. Bloody obvious really.