PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 13:05
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB

IIRC no-one (even me!!) could come up with an explanation for Glen Ogle - even the Behavioural Scientist struggled with that one and suggested "a startling event". I seem to recall that the possibility of suicide was postulated but strongly rejected. The circumstances in respect of the weather were also totally different, the crew did not have any potential problems with Crew Duty limitations nor did they have an aircraft full of VIP's to whom they owed a duty of care.

tucumseh

The Chinook crew had already flown 6+ hrs that day in that Airframe without incident. At the instigation of the Aircraft Captain unauthorised (and unrecorded) rectification had been carried out on the avionics systems but apart from that there was no hint of anything amiss with the Aircraft prior to the fatal sortie. There was also no hint of anything amiss prior to Waypoint Change and even the HOL Committee accepted that the crew were in control of the aircraft at Waypoint Change.

It was the determination of the Reviewing Officers that the Pilots were negligent by the time of waypoint change in that they had imperilled the Aircraft, its Passengers and Crew by disregarding the strict rules in respect of VFR Flight. I agree with that assessment.

Regards to you both

PS Good thing I only had 1 glass of wine with Lunch.