PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 13:00
ryano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys and girls again,
I have noticed several questions pertaining to preferences and different avenues of entry (ADFA/DE etc) lately and think I can help. I will not go so far as to say whether you can have an ADFA preference and a Direct Entry preference open simultaneously as my word is not gospel. Your recruiter can tell you or find out for you.
There comes a point when you are "playing the game" and where you are genuinely trying to get in. The people who pick applicants are not silly and they will spot you out in a heartbeat.
If you genuinely want to study and gain a university degree first, then have ADFA down as your preference and work towards that. With programs like BTech with the RAAF and Army Aviation Scholarships, you are reserved a spot on BFTS before you start your studies. If you are not serious about ADFA or Direct Entry, do not put it down - at all.
ADFA and other officer training programs that you complete irrespective of service will have different affects (sometimes quite a difference) on your career as a military officer and pilot. You should be aware of these when you make your decision.
When it comes to Direct Entry, it is generally (and not always) accepted that those with maturity and life experience do better than their younger counterparts. This does not preclude youngsters from Direct Entry, everybody and their circumstances are unique.
If you would rather not complete tertiary studies than Direct Entry is your avenue. You need to be aware though that you can only go to FSP once and Direct Entry is the most competitive avenue to get in through, in terms of number of people who apply and number of positions available. It is not good enough to get through FSP and get your recommendation - that is NOT a spot on BFTS. In order to get that spot, you need the recommendation and to be super competitive. Your age will not stop you getting recommended at FSP and in your OSB, but a lack of maturity and life experience will make it more difficult to get an offer.
If you want to go DE and feel that at the moment you may not be as competitive as you could be, my best advice is to stop now, go and do something else that will improve you as a person, your experiences, your resume etc. A couple of years out of school will make a HUGE difference to you, significantly improve your chances etc. A few years may sound like a long time, but it isn't at all. Your aviation training program could take several years to complete (depending on what you do), not including any officer training. You should know that there are many people who are working towards the same goal as you and have put in the hard yards, who have pursued avenues that they do not particularly like but have done so because it presents them as the person that stands out.
Military aviation will still be there in the future, the big question is whether you are prepared to do what it takes to be a part of it.