PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding Action: what do ATC assume?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2002, 09:05
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone from Tech log will hopefully calculate the exact amount of bank required to make a rate one at 450 kts.
50 degrees.

I agree with seat 0A.

Am I the only person who is concerned by the lack of relative risk management displayed by some of the contributors here?

Avoiding action should be given to avoid confliction or to maintain minimum separation, be it 5 or 3 miles or 1000 or 3000 feet
An avoiding action is just what it means, it's a turn that needs to be done immediately to avoid the loss of approved seperation between two aircraft
When we say avoiding action this is an urgent instruction because of the immediate prospect of a serious loss of separation / collision
(my italics in each case)

A loss of separation is a loss of separation, not a collision. The very fact that loss of separation occurs from time to time but collisions do not should persuade you that they are not the same thing.

A loss of separation may be a deal for you, but the injuries sustained by the passengers inside an aircraft that is flung around just to avoid the snitch is a deal for them, too.

And the very idea that anyone would use the same phrase 'avoiding action' to an aircraft in no immediate danger but about to enter controlled airspace is simply absurd.