PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 10:28
ol-mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

This the draft Minimum Visual Requirement - 1A for Pilot as of May 2004. Hopefully it will give some insight as to the standard required.

Visual Acuity (each eye separately): Unaided 6/12, Aided 6/6
Near Vision (Corrected): N5 at 30-50cm N14 at 100cm

Refraction Limits with cycloplegia

Hypermetropia: +1.75 dioptres
Hypermetropic astigmatism: +0.75 dioptre
Myopia: -1.00 dioptre
Myopic astigmatism: -0.5 dioptre
Heterophoria, Eso or Exophoria: Must not exceed 6 prism dioptres

Convergence: 10cm or less
Age in years Cm
17-20 10-11
21-25 11-12
26-30 13-14
31-35 14-16

Fields of vision: The fields of vision should be normal to confrontation or, in cases of doubt, to perimetry.

Diseases of the eye or eyelids: Acute conditions to be treated first. Chronic conditions may result in rejection. Seek opthalmological opinion.

Intraocular pressure: Normal range for technique used.

*Please Note: This information is freely available on the internet. If you would like a copy of the document, please PM me with an e-mail address and i will send it to you. It does have details pertaining to LASIK surgery which clearly states that it is not acceptable for aircrew entry, however this document is dated 2004 and is only a draft, their stance may have changed.

I strongly recommend that you contact your DFR Office, if you have any questions about the Minimum Visual Requirements forAircrew entry. If you do not wish to raise any alarms at DFR about your eyesight, I would suggest ringing around your local optometrists/opthalmologists and ask them if they are familiar with the standards required for the ADF. Then go and have a test done to put your mind at ease.

Sorry about the length of the post.