PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 06:25
ryano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there guys and girls,

As somebody who has done FSP in August '09 I'd like to offer my opinion. If you read previous posts from Sept '09 onwards, you'd be aware that PPRune member "Georgo" who has posted on this thread was also recently down there and has since taken up a RAAF offer to begin BFTS shortly.

In fact, the pair of us were on the same FSP course and I wish to congratulate him - he's a fine fellow and I wish him well on BFTS! My opinion on and experience at FSP is closely aligned to his, and from other posts on this thread, to many others as well.

Providing you make it through the recruiting process you may be offerred a place on FSP. Please note that simply passing your Assessment Day does not mean you will be going to FSP. Places on FSP are limited and some are assigned to ADFA applicants and others to Direct Entry scheme applicants, and there are always more applicants than spots at FSP. The timetable for when FSP courses run and how many people are on that course can be found on the RAAF website. There is no set answer on when you'll get a spot on FSP, if you do. Simply pass your Assessment Day and wait - best answer.

I cannot stress to you how competitive it is getting a spot on BFTS. Getting onto Flight Screening is one thing, but getting through it and getting a spot on BFTS is another thing entirely. I have seen so many questions about so many things on this thread. Ultimately, to get a shot at Flight Screening you must be competitive in the avenue that you are applying for (there are different qualities that are sought after for ADFA and DE applicants). There are several hundred people who make it through Assessment Days each year, and less than 300 spots on FSP, and less than half that number of places on BFTS.

You will be assessed on three things while at FSP and it is vital to know that they are ALL important. You must demonstrate a required rate of learning. In other words, you must have a degree of raw ability in learning to and being able to fly. This does not require previous flying experience, if you have some, great, if you don't, don't worry. Flight Screening assesses where you started from and where you end and how you did in the middle. I went to FSP with no flying experience, as did others on my course, as have others who have made it onto BFTS.

The remaining two items will be assessed during the two week course and finally in your OSB. Your level of motivation and commitment is critical and can be easily assessed during the two weeks. If you rolled over one morning and decided to become a pilot, you may have made it through your Assessment Day but this will not suffice at FSP and your OSB.

Your level of officer qualities is also equally important to your success at FSP. Your general behaviour, your organisational skills, how you fit in a military environment, your personality etc etc (the list is endless) will ultimately determine whether you receive a recommendation or not. As "georgo" pointed out, two guys got very very good flying scores, one with a shed load of civvy hours and quals, but received "not yet recommended" because they needed to improve certain aspects of their officer qualities.

You will reap what you sow at FSP. If you stay up late, get up early, chair-fly the lounges in the crew room like tomorrow and are as prepared as you can be for each flight, you're off to a good start. You will have an absolute blast down there and you will make good friends who come from around the country. It is as much fun as it is hard work.

There is enough information out there to give you an idea of what you'll encounter down there. My advice is to prepare yourself well and handle yourself well. Be prepared for your OSB, think of every question under the sun you could be asked and have a solid answer. Speak to as many people as you can, show some initiative and find someone if you don't know someone. Be adaptable and always perform at your best.

Otherwise, good luck with it.