PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an airline pilot
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2002, 07:10
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airline employment market in NZ is so small that luck is a far bigger influence on your prospects than age! The number of commercial jet airliners based in your country is probably under 50. That means somewhere around 600-700 aircrew are employed to fly them. Most of the older pilots probably started via the RNZAF or RNZN, but those routes are far less significant now. I don't know how many people train through commercial FTOs in NZ, but I suspect it's not that many.

I'm guessing here, but it's possible that in a couple of years' time, as aviation crawls out of its current rut, that there may be a shortage of qualified and type-rated pilots in NZ. If. somehow, you can get your licences, and then build some experience out of the country, you could be well placed to get a right-seat job in a few years - especially if Virgin Blue starts flying internally in NZ. Thereafter, command will depend on the pilot turnover rate and the expansion of your airline. Could be 2 yearss, could be 15. Who knows?

In my airline, there are a few 747 commanders who began flying later than usual, and, at one stage, time to command could be 18 months or less for appropriately qualified pilots. As for the A380, I think the only people in your part of the world who will operate the aircraft are Singapore and Qantas. Historically, there are few fast commands in those airlines!