PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bombs gone"
Thread: "Bombs gone"
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2009, 20:51
Manuel de Vol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a few years ago - late 60's/very early 70s, I think.

As I heard it, the aircraft was a Canberra doing a 'toss' attack. I was told that he mis-identified the lead-in lights (saw two sets of street lights which made a 'T') pulled up early and released a 100lb pb.

The bomb apparently went through the roof of the pub's crapper and straight down the horn.

I was told that the landlord wasn't too upset ... he got his toilet re-built and trade improved dramatically (visiting aircrew.)

There were a couple of other 'notable incidents', AFAIR. In one, a 1000lb bomb ended up in a farmer's field on the Isle of Man. (It didn't go off and apparently the fusing wasn't selected.) The farmer called Jurby range and asked them to collect their property.

In the other, a Vulcan was dropping a stick of 1000 pounders. One (or more) 'hung up', but came off the bomb beam and fell onto the doors after they were closed. Nobody knew what state the bombs were in and if the crew had opened the doors in an attempt to jettison them, then the airflow might well have armed them fully. The aircraft returned and landed and the Nav Rad had to go into the bomb bay (through the inspection hatch at the front) and make them safe.