PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What hope for low hour pilots ???
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2002, 06:51
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smartcol

Just go back through your FTO's joining info paperwork, would you, and see where it was that they promised you a job? Or that they would assist you in finding one? I doubt you'll find any reference to either, I'm afraid. As the other posts have said above, FTOs contract with you to train you to fATPL and that's it. It's really no concern of theirs whether or not you find a job afterwards, just as it's no concern of a university whether you get a job after a degree.

Nor is it your FTO's fault that the jobs outlook changed completely while you were in training. As all investment advertising states, 'past performance is no guarantee for the future'. We were heading for a recession in aviation anyway; 9/11 slightly accelerated it and temporarily deepened it. In other words, with or without 9/11, jobs were going to be hard to get.

The fact that many pilots were laid off over the last 9 months has allowed those few airlines that do recruit to specify 'experienced and type-rated'. But the pool pilots that fits these criteria will run out, and airlines will have to lower their sights once again - the only question is how long that process will take. If you're a regular here, you will know the moderators' opinions on that.

As always, it's a case of supply and demand. No-one owes you a job. And don't go down the line of suggesting working for free; by doing so you devalue every pilot out there - effectively you're suggesting that a more experienced colleague should stay unemployed so that you can gain hours for free. You will really make yourself popular with that idea! I think you'll find, in any case, that it's not legal in the EU to employ someone without paying them.