PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips and tricks for sector entry, holding patterns etc ...
Old 10th Oct 2009, 15:43
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Compressor Stall -thank you, thank you. I have been flying IFR for 45 years and always struggled with this sector 1, 2 and 3 nonsense. I simply disguised my inability (refusal?) to call the entries anything other than parallel, teardrop and direct entry. But Stallie, you have given me the key to be able to talk the talk in my briefings now. Seriously. One penis two tits - how will I ever forget that memonic?

As for how to fly 'em, the trick as Chimbu mentioned is to make an effort at TRACKING either the reciprocal (for the parallel entry - there I go again, can't help it) or 30 degrees offset for the teardrop. By tracking you get an appreciation of the wind, assuming it's not already nicely displayed as a neat little arrow somewhere like on a glass PFD or GPS screen. With the direct entry, if you are coming into it at right angles to the outbound, don't turn as you make station passage (common error) but hold a right angle heading for 10 seconds so as not to be too close in as you come around on to the inbound leg.

And do try to do the whole thing at constant speed and bank angles.