PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet Pilot Program of Emirates
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2009, 13:13
snaproll3480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero..I respectfully disagree with you mate..because when the country is offering a privilege for citizens, this is not discrimination...it's just what is expected.
Actually that is exactly what discrimination means. Let me quote the definition for you.

dis⋅crim⋅i⋅na⋅tion

1. an act or instance of discriminating.
2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:

The very act of giving citizens rights or distinction based solely on their status rather than individual merit is precisely the definition of discrimination. It is part of the way of life in the middle east and has been for a long long time. Here is another definition for you:

Wasta (Arabic: وَسْطة) is an Arabic expression that loosely translates into ‘who you know’ or 'clout'. It refers to using one’s influence or connections to get things done, such as quick renewal of a passport, waiving of traffic fines, and even garnering prestigious jobs. Wasta is deeply ingrained in Middle East culture, having been the de facto way of getting things done for decades.

You simply can't deny the facts. It is all known and understood to be the way things are here and those of who are visiting understand this and live with it, just don't try to sugar coat it. I personally don't have a problem with it but it is what it is.