PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips and tricks for sector entry, holding patterns etc ...
Old 10th Oct 2009, 12:22
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey look - its a bit hard to do without diagrams but here goes.

There was some really, REALLY weird **** written on Sector 1 entries on the last page which I cannot allow to pass unchallenged. Some crap about being too close to the inbound course and overshooting the turns and/or using max angles of banks?

Sector 1: After station passage turn to TRACK parallel to the inbound track. Timing begins wings level tracking outbound. When the time is up (1 minute +/- wind) carry out a rate 1 turn until on an intercept heading to establish inbound to the aid from inside the pattern.

Sector 2: After station passage turn to track 30 degrees off the reciprocal of inbound trk for 1 minute (+/- wind) carry out a rate 1 turn to intercept inbound track to aid.

Notice in both above examples we are joining the pattern from INSIDE the pattern?

Sector 3: Fly to fix and turn (rate 1) left or right.

With any modern GPS giving GS and TRK this stuff is now childs play really.

It really wasn't so long ago when we did handfly these on nothing but a fixed card ADF/DG and wrist watch - usually no DME - and it was fun I thought all my xmas' had come at once when I finally flew something with a HSI and RMI