PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - low level navigation
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2009, 07:51
Warbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a comment on uncharted obstacle heights, transmission line heights etc.
Yep, both of those will git ya! The few companies that own wind turbines like to erect wind finding towers in areas of interest to record wind data before commiting to building the turbines. They do publish this stuff (somewhere, I get them by email) but the thing is the towers are VERY hard to see and seem to be usually around 200' high. One that comes to mind was put on a peak, but certainly not the highest peak within 5 miles. Another pilot told me about it, then ferrying past it on the way to a job I still forgot about it and luckily I was about a 1/2 mile abeam of it when I remebered it. You simply cannot see them in certain lighting conditions.

Powerlines across valleys should be illegal. They are out there and they are potential killers. I remember a bloke in WA telling me that the greenies won the case to get the poles painted green on some of the long spannig wires East of Perth, so the only clue is hidden from any poor barstard in a spot of trouble due weather.

I'll bet there is a million stories of dangerous powerlines crossing valleys around peoples local domains, but you have to be a local to know them!

There's a huge difference between scud running at 800' agl and 150' agl. If your at 150' with your tail in the cloud, you really need to be in a pub somewhere waiting for the weather to clear! Proceeding in ****ty weather is the VFR pilots number 1 enemy in my opinion.