PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circling Minima
Thread: Circling Minima
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 22:34
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting a warm, fuzzy feeling...

Thanks, BOAC

9.G, I totally agree about emergencies and rulebooks, etc. However, if you're stuck in clean config, you're not dead yet and it would be a shame to risk piling in short (not implying you would, of course!) when good manners dictate that you should crash on the runway, or at least the airfield. CAVOK means do what you think's best - after all, they're minima not maxima: an appropriately sized visual circuit would seem to fit the bill?

Back to CIA. Your have chosen your words wisely my friend it only SEEMS indeed. Nothing even close to a straight in it's circling VOR 33 thus it's a circling approach using a prescribed track. Remember we were talking bout circling so forget the once coming from LAT or FRS. as you can see only ROM DME is required to shoot it, isn't it? So you're coming over ROM for a circling VOR 33, aren't you? Do you still have 4,2 NM obstacle clearance in this case? What is your primary means of navigation? Finally what's he applicable weather minimum?
I've never been there so I was just looking at the approach plates (pdf, 3.6MB: Googled from an Italian sim. site but look like genuine ENAV ones) with RW33 being the last in the sequence. It looks like you can go ROM outbound, complete the base turn, join the FAT inbound to ROM, breaking off at 4d to align with the runway if you are visual. The limits appear to be lower for this approach than circling from the other end, so I'd have thought it would be better if the wx was poo? I know it's called a circling approach on the plate but to me it reads more like an offset VOR, albeit with a few more criteria to fulfil when visual... Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument (that's room 12a) as I readily admit I don't get much practice at circling, apart from the odd bit in the Caribbean and it's rare to be near the minima, so any advice is gratefully received!

Sorry to bore everyone - please feel free not to read this post if you don't want to.