PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the reason to de-ice
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 14:53
FEHERTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is always funny to hear the stories about de-icing from old times in Russia.

"People had been drinking de-icing fluid ....". The Russian Arktika Fluid, at these times the only one available, had been made out of Di-Ethylene-Glycol. 100ml would kill a big man with a weight of 100kg. So, I would suggest to stop such stupid stories.

I am dealing in these countries when they still had been in the USSR and 95% of the stories I hear are simply "bla bla bla".

Reality is: Every pilot, who is taking of an aircraft with a contaminated wing or flight controls or any other critical surface is risking the life of crew and passengers and the loss of the aircraft. His/her licence should has to be taken immediately.

But not only focus on the pilots. Before 1998 mainly engineers made the treatment job and final check, now we often have absolutely unqualified ground staff doing it. In such a case the flight crews need to do a little bit more extra, if possible.

The commercial aviation business (not counting the former USSR) lost more than 70 aircraft because of icing up, or improper de-icing/anti-icing in the last 30 years. There is no room for "stories", to serious. And no not kill me for this statement, it is true: Pilots of business jet operators or corporate flight squads are the ones with the lowest knowledge.