PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 9th Oct 2009, 08:30
tocamak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it is a thin line between reckless and safe when you go away from the inherent safety of the SOPs, but there is something to be said about seeing and doing real flying
I'm not sure if you meant it that way but testing out the thinness of the line with pax onboard doesn't sound like a good idea.

This thread looks in danger of degenerating into a fond look back at the "good old days" of flying when SOP's were down to the individual and CRM was the Captain telling the "boy" what to do. Exageration for effect here before you all jump down my throat!

Times move on and you reasonably would not expect to be doing a "low 360 over MAN" although you might do an orbit on final at a less busy place and quite rightly you should be able to do it without trying to remember how to actually fly. The accident records surely show that it is the decision making process which is at the heart of most accidents rather than raw flying skill.