PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gen Dannat to be offered Tory Defence post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 07:45
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why on earth does Dannatt have to take the whip in order to offer advice? I always suspect vanity in cases like this and that undermines the ultimate motive. I'm sure he has much to offer, but to assume he is able to dictate national policy without being accountable is the act of ultimate conceit and contrary to the principles of democracy that he swore to uphold.

Tim Garden took the Lib Dem whip, didn't he.. but his move from the military to politics seems to have been ultimately, specifically motivated and just one of a series of premeditated actions. Dannatt's, on the other hand, seems to be almost an afterthought, an incidental move. If he wanted ultimate credibility with me, his peers and the nation, he would stand. If he just wants a job and restoration of authority, well - the trough he joins is long and distinguished.

I hope he dopesn't end up like West.. a political puppet with little credibility and reputation enhanced as a whipping 'yes' man who will do anything to keep the job. Now, seeing Dannatt reduced to that would be sad. Full time politics is a different game to the echelon mingling that he is used to.