PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over-qualified for Pilot Training?!
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2009, 07:12
P1-FTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI,
I’d agree with Genghis the Engineer. I've recently completed the ATPL studies, CPL and IR via modular route while working as an Aerospace Engineer. Having technical knowledge has helped ( also didn't help when I was told I was thinking too much like an engineer at one point doing the ground exams prep!).

Likewise the flying experiences both PPL and CPL have helped in the day to day engineering job, especially if you do have interactions with aircrew. They tend not to look down on you so much as the other engineers who do not have flying experience!!

I could not start the "ATPL flying" till I was 31 and could only manage to do it via a modualr route due to money and work commitments, I think, for me it might have been easier to give up the job and concentrate full time, but I personally feel better knowing that I held down a job and completed the training.

What ever your plans, airline pilot, Engineer, ETPS etc its a solid foot hold you will have in "both worlds" and, as like the situation in the world now you will have more than one option to consider.

hope this helps,