PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Over-qualified for Pilot Training?!
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2009, 21:57
Keeley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Over-qualified for Pilot Training?!

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of an odd query, so please bare with me.

I'm a 24 year old Aeronautical Engineer that has just graduated from University. For a long time I have wanted to pursue a career as a commercial pilot, with a dream of one day flying business jets. I'm aware that a degree was never needed to follow this career path, but back in the day when I started my degree I felt it was a good idea to have a back up in the event that I was not successful with the flight training or securing a job as a pilot at a later stage.

Roll on 5 years and I am still unable to pursue a career as a pilot because I simply cannot obtain the finances (no security for a loan, recession etc). I had planned to apply for the NetJets Cadet Scheme but of course that is currently closed due to the recession. The job prospects as an Engineer are pretty dire currently as well and so I have chosen to complete a Ph.D in the hope that in 3-4 years time the aviation industry will hopefully be in a better shape and I will have had time to save up some of the necessary funds.

I appreciate that by then I am likely to be over-qualified for the purposes of being accepted on an integrated training course (edit: In terms of exceeding course entry requirements, NOT over-qualified to be a pilot and fly the actual plane ), so my question is this.....is having a degree and a Ph.D likely to place me at a distinct disadvantage if I apply for training post-PhD? i.e. will they laugh in my face and wonder why it has taken me so long to start training?

Secondly, I will be approaching 28 years old when I apply. Is this too old?

Many thanks in advance

Keeley

Last edited by Keeley; 12th Oct 2009 at 18:22.