PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2007 Puma Crash, Enquiry and Inquest (Merged)
Old 8th Oct 2009, 19:32
Tiger_mate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nr Droop, as you haven't got anticipators on the Puma- very likely, but I have never heard it
I have; at MAUW (12+12+crew/NI) in a descending right hand turn on approach and therefore already close to the ground. I would not like to hear it again; it is a surreal sound and thankfully the chap with the lever in his hand left it alone which is against human instincts. He being a first tourist would suggest that either the training is/was effective or he simply froze. I like to think the former. I hasten to add that even if this approach had gone horribly wrong, I do not believe that there was anywhere near the momentum to destroy the airframe in the manner of the accident in question.

In follow-up discussion*, the 'system' (Sqn Execs & Trainers) was an advocate of anticipaters being in the head of the pilot in command, despite 38years of associated accidents. Duty of care legislation these days means that those nonchallent responses are a thing of the past.

*The situation was openly discussed to all Sqn members, and rightfully so.