PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2009, 11:24
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done most of those things and am continuing to do so.

For example, one of my alter egos always responds when the local rag prints what I regard as inaccurate, biased or just plain wrong comments about the airport, and the airport now seems to feature in the paper several times a week. Each month, for instance, they publish the latest percentage drop in passenger figures with their own 'assessment', something they never did when passengers figures were rising month after month, year after year, as I have pointed out.

I don't always use the same monicker with these replies because people begin to say........oh, it's just him again, he would say that.

I've had ongoing dialogue with my MP, a Labour woman, but she seems unable to get down from the fence.

I've also written to the Tory Party, nationally and in Europe, but I received the expected nebulous political replies.

I sent Leader Janke (Lib Dem) of the Bristol City Council an email giving her the benefit of my views and what I thought of her council's decision to object formally to the expansion plans. She did reply though I think it was a standard letter. The major point seemed to be that the wellbeing of local residents affected by the airport's presence was more important than the continuing prosperity of the city region's economy.

I've written to my local city councillors (both Conservative) but neither has replied and they've had six weeks to do so.

I've always believed that one way or the other the final decision will rest with the secretary of state and it has concerned me that from the outset the Conservatives, the likely government-in-waiting, have never embraced with enthusiasm the Bristol expansion plans, seemingly confirmed by their shadow transport minister.

I'm still convinced that the majority of people in the Bristol region support expansion. Each time the local rag or local telly does a poll the figures seem always to be around 70% for and 30% against. The pity is most of those who want expansion are literally the silent majority. As you say, bird scarer, active support is now the order of the day.